The mission of the Department of Civil Engineering and Materials Science (CEMS) is to provide a world-class learning and research environment in civil engineering, management of the built environment and materials science.
Our mission embodies the goals of:
- Recruiting enthusiastic students
- Enthusing and motivating students to think critically
- Equipping students with the analytical skills to question accepted wisdom
- Engaging in world-class innovative research in niche areas
- Integrating effective strategies in engineering and science education
The department offers two courses at undergraduate level and one at post graduate level:
- BE Civil Engineering (LM085): click here to visit the Civil Engineering @ University of Limerick course website to experience the innovative teaching and learning processes which make our degree programme so unique
- BSc Construction Management + Engineering (LM082): the degree for leaders of construction, fully accredited by the Chartered Institute of Building, the international voice for the construction industry with 46,000 members worldwide
- MSc Advanced Engineering Materials
- MSc Biomedical Device Materials
The CEMS faculty also provide many service modules to other courses and have a significant commitment to the Materials and Design option in BEng Mechanical Engineering offered by the Department of Mechanical, Aeronautical and Biomedical Engineering.
Research and development activity is strongly promoted within the department which has a good record in attracting funding for postgraduate research for both the EU and Industry. The Department makes a major contribution to the international reputation of the University and has an excellent publication record
The department is one of the ten constituent Departments that make up the Faculty of Science & Engineering. The Department has a compliment of 15 academics, 7 technicians and 2 administrative staff.